Are you as mad about pecans as we are?! What about Gourmet Popcorn? This recipe is for all you squirrels out there... these Pecan Pie Gourmet Popcorn cupcakes couldn't get any nuttier!
This recipe makes 10 delicious cupcakes so get cooking!
For the cupcakes:
30g pecan halves, chopped into small chunks
85g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
60g unsalted butter, softened
120g granulated sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 pack of Popcorn Shed Pecan Pie popcorn
For the cream cheese frosting:
60g unsalted butter
115g cream cheese
250g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Spread pecan chunks onto ungreased baking tray and bake for 6-10 mins until golden and aromatic
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and mix with baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until fluffy. Gradually add 90g of the granulated sugar, beating well.
- Separate egg. Set aside the white and beat in the egg yolk in with the butter and sugar mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition until blended.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add remaining 30g of granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold in half the egg white mixture into the batter, once mixed fold in the remaining egg whites and pecan chunks.
- Divide batter evenly among 10 cupcake cups, filling until half full. Bake for 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, melt the butter in a saucepan, stirring constantly until browned. Cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Add the cream cheese to the browned butter; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Frost each cupcake with the cream cheese frosting. Pop Popcorn Shed's Pecan Pie Gourmet Popcorn on top of the cupcakes for an extra crunch!
Makes 10 cupcakes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature to ensure freshness.